The Civil Engineering wing of JMC takes up all types of civil works like :
a) Minor works
b) Major projects works
c) Other civil works like Constructions / Upgradation / Repairs of Lanes & Drains within the jurisdiction of Jammu Municipal Corporation.
The Electric Wing of JMC installs & maintains street lights & High Mast lights including repairs & allied electric works within the jurisdiction of Jammu Municipal Corporation. Besides Traffic Signal System is also monitored by Electric wing.
The Mechanical Wing of JMC is responsible for maintenance & repairs of machinery & fleet of vehicles deployed by the organization. Besides Municipal Workshop undertakes servicing & greasing of Municipal vehicles & Machinery, Repairs of garbage container & wheel Barrows, Fabrication of Iron gratings etc.
Civil Works Section
We have full fledged civil works section to ensure upgradation of civil infrastructure in the city. The section is headed by JC (W), 2 Xens, 4 A.E.E’s but serious deficient strength of field staff. To handle 71 wards, we have 14 JEs and 17 work supervisors. This field staff was not been shifted for more than a decade and has become completely complacent in their working. With this deficient staff strength, we have taken following steps:
- Transparent tendering process has been started. Within these 4 months, we have tendered 142 works and started execution on ……. ground.
- For emergency works, we have allocated 5-10 wards to one contractor.
- To ensure faster execution of work, we have ordered cancellation of all the approvals where work has not been taken up within 3 months.
- For the works, where tender has not been successful, we have ordered clubbing of works ward wise and putting them on e-tender. This way, we will be able to have complete work of that ward taken up in one go.
- Proposal for completion of community halls which have been lying incomplete for more than 5-6 years has been submitted to the Admn deptt with committed funding so that the same may be put to use.
- Proposal for upgradation of drainage system for Rs.22cr has been included in Amrut.
- 20 vacant pieces of land belonging to JMC have been identified and proposals are going to be invited soon for development of shopping malls, parking places, parks, small community markets on PPP basis. Details of these land sites are as follows:
- Notice has been issued for inviting public to offer their land for development of parking lot on revenue sharing basis.
- Development of about 10 parking places has been proposed under AMRUT. In most of the cases, we don’t need land.
- Electrical section which is being run only with one XEN and 2 JEs is handling management of 34432 HPSV Street lights, 248 high mast lights, 307 water coolers, 30 traffic lights. A proposal of street lighting has been sent to EESL, GOI. Once its approved, smart LED lighting will be provided to the entire Jammu city.
- A notification under section … is going to be issued soon for making payment for parking spaces by residents of Jammu, who don’t have provision for parking place in their residence or commercial establishments. Tender for contracting out parking spaces is going to be issued soon.
- Proposal for verticalistaion of municipal infrastructure on PPP model is going to be floated soon. This will release lot of land bank and raise huge revenue for JMC
- Places like fish market, veg market are all going to be outsourced for planned development and will also raise some revenue for JMC.
- We have our own stores for making bricks, slabs and Pre-Cast drain we are planning to have a centralized store at Chattha where we have our land available.