JMC- AN INTRODUCTION
Jammu Municipal Corporation, the erstwhile Jammu Municipality was established after the reforms under taken by Lord Rippan in the first quarter of 19th Century. The Provision of elective element in the Municipalities was introduced in the Year 1930. Next step towards the development of Municipality in the state was the passage of J & K Municipal Act 1941.
In the 51st year of Republic of India, the State Legislature passed the J & K Municipal Corporation Act 2000, giving it status of Jammu Municipal Corporation. With the upgradation to the Status of Jammu Municipal Corporation. The city has been divided into 75 wards with an approximately area of 240 sq. km.
LEGAL STATUS OF MUNICIPALITIES IN JK
- The Municipality of State of Jammu and Kashmir was established after the reforms under taken by Lord Rippan in the first quarter of 19th Century.
- The development of Modern Municipal Committees of the State was initiated by First Municipal Act of 1886 A.D. followed by amended act of 1889. Under this Act two Municipalities of Jammu and Srinagar were established for the first time.
- Jammu Municipality was first constituted in Phagun 1942 Bk (March 1886 A.D.). In 1893 A.D a separate department known as Municipal Administration and Jails was setup.
- The Provision of elective element in the Municipalities was introduced in the Year 1930. This was done with the enactment of Jammu and Kashmir regulation 1913.
- In the 51st year of Republic of India the State Legislature passed the J & K Municipal Corporation Act 2000 for the capital cities of Jammu and Srinagar which got the Status of Jammu Municipal Corporation vide SRO 46 dated 18/2/2003.
- Duly elected Jammu Municipal Council was superseded by the Government in 1960, 1975 and lastly 1983.Since Independence the Elections of Jammu Municipality have taken place five times only i.e., 1956, 1972, 1980 ,2005 and 2018.